Around 1285, a foundation. "Stiftung Leutolds von Chreusbach", was established by the Augustinian Eremites, who then built a monastery. Due to fires and war, our school has faced diverse challenges, as well as a variety of different circumstances: for example, facilities were even rented to spa guests. After a fire in 1812, Baron Haan von Haanendal purchased the former monastery at auction. Four years later, the now well-known "Florastöckl" was built on the site of an old armory. The former monastery was also redesigned for residential purposes, and in 1826,bought the building.
Actually, the real history of our school begins in 1866. Back then, the building was used partly for educational purposes as a "Realgymnasium” (type of a secondary school). Around the turn of the century, when construction of the school in the "Biondekgasse” was completed, the "Realgymnasium” moved there. Around the same time, a subsidiary school – the "Höhere Tochterschule”- emerged in the "Frauengasse”, which was converted to a lyceum by Josefine Malcher two years later. In the school year 1918/1919 the fifth grade of a "reformed secondary school” was added to the lyceum. In 1921, when the school building became part of the "War Damage Fund”, the first final exams took place
In 1938 the school became government property and was changed into a "Realgymnasium” for girls. After World War II, the school continued to operate, although the building had suffered bomb damage. In addition, the "Realgymnasium” was made into a different kind of secondary school, a "Bundesrealgymnasium” for girls.
In 1980, when the system of the coeducation was introduced, a third type of school, called the "Realgymnasium” was established. Since then, the school has been expanded (addition of one storey) and reconstructed to create more space. For instance, in 1990, a new second gym replaced a former cinema!
The main building of today’s school belongs to the oldest building stock of Baden. A sign on the façade is a reminder that an Augustinian monastery stood on this site for centuries. The adjacent church, which has been called the "Frauenkirche” since 1919, was the monastery church.
In the music archive, one can still see a gothic stone portal which was a 13th century entrance to the "Einsäulenraum” ("One-Pillar-Room”).
During the first major phase of reconstruction (1955-1964) important medieval sections were uncovered and restored, especially the beautiful “Einsäulenraum” ("One-Pillar-Room”), now a music room, and the “Ostflügel des Kreuzganges” (east wing of the cloisters). Experts have identified different architectural styles here. The lancet windows in the north cloister, as well as the broad, slightly elevated window openings in the south wing of the cloister are late Gothic, whereas the so-called "Zweisäulenraum” (“two-pillar-room”) has an Early Baroque design.
In 1714, a major fire broke out in Baden, which destroyed the church and the Augustinian monastery. Construction of a second baroque rebuilding then began, but the work took a long time. For example, the still existing barrel vaults in the ground floor (now the school cafeteria) stem from this construction period.
After 1811, the monastery gradually dissolved due to a shortage of monks and nuns. About this time, fire also caused severe structural damage, and the monastery was eventually auctioned off. Later, in 1816/1817, the "Florastöckl” was constructed from parts of the former monastery.
The main building of the former monastery was converted into residential housing by the famous architect. It was then that the building acquired its “Biedermeier” elements, the most typical style of architecture in Baden.